|Carolina Jews for Justice Seeks Part-Time Organizer/Volunteer Coordinator
Carolina Jews for Justice (CJJ) is seeking candidates for a part-time position of Organizer/Volunteer coordinator (20 hours/week). CJJ is a Jewish, grassroots network committed to creating a just, fair and compassionate North Carolina. We combine advocacy and education to organize a non-partisan Jewish voice in North Carolina. CJJ works to influence policy at the local and state levels and encourage individuals and Jewish institutions to take a stand on important issues in our community. We are currently engaged in topics that are of strong interest to our community, including voting rights, Medicaid Expansion, income inequality and poverty, racial injustice, immigration and the environment. We have active chapters in the West (Asheville and surrounding areas), the Triangle (Wake, Durham, Orange, and Chatham counties), and are interested in expanding our presence in Charlotte, Greensboro, and elsewhere in the state.
The Organizer/Volunteer coordinator will be CJJ’s first employee and will play a critical role in helping Carolina Jews for Justice to conduct advocacy and continue to grow our organization. The ideal candidate will work to engage and grow our volunteer base by meeting one on one with interested members of our network, and helping to support local chapters in their organizing. In addition, the candidate will help volunteers network with potential allies and policymakers, in order to enable CJJ to work in partnership with larger coalitions on issues that are important to us. The role will also include administrative support of CJJ operations, including managing a database, supporting meeting and event planning, and handling some tasks related to fundraising and financial management.
The Organizer/Volunteer coordinator will be based in the Triangle, but will travel across the state regularly to meet and engage our activists to be leaders on issues that are important to CJJ.
- Work with CJJ board leadership and local steering committees to develop workplan for the year and keep CJJ’s agenda moving;
- Develop relationships with and grow our base of volunteers, including building an understanding of volunteer opportunities and coordination of ad hoc campaign teams, governance of local chapters, connecting volunteers to opportunities, and training volunteers to become leaders in CJJ and in advocacy;
- Manage a database of volunteers and their interests;
- Support ongoing CJJ advocacy in coordination with CJJ volunteers and leadership, such as assisting to promote events, setting up appointments, attending coalition meetings on behalf of CJJ, drafting talking points;
- Attend CJJ meetings and events;
- Manage administrative support for CJJ, including database entry, assisting with fundraising letters and thank-yous, logistics for events, etc.;
- Support CJJ communications volunteer committee, including helping with maintaining CJJ website, email blasts, event promotion, and social media as needed; and
- Identify new funding opportunities.
The ideal candidate will have at least one year of community, issue, or political organizing, excellent organizational skills, strong written and oral communication skills, and must work well in a team. The position requires a skill for working with volunteers, reliable transportation, and a willingness to work some evening and weekend hours. The position will be based in the Triangle, and will also be expected to include regular travel across NC (average of twice a month).
Salary / Compensation
Salary, Benefits, and Start Date: CJJ will offer a competitive salary for up to 20 hours/week, with the possibility of expanding to full-time in the future if needed and if fundraising is successful. Carolina Jews for Justice is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
To Apply: Deadline to apply is April 22nd. Attach both a resume and cover letter (email only) describing your qualifications and experience to Debbie Goldstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject “Attn: CJJ Organizer.”